[mythtv-users] Re: Yet another noobie sanity check ;-)

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 04:40:55 EDT 2004

>I think I'm going to stick with the Aria case, simply because it is small,
>gives pretty good expansion capabilities (up to 3 HDs), and is
>comparatively inexpensive. Of course, the comments about it running hot,
>especially after adding a couple PVR250s and AGP, make sense.

You mean you still can't be tempted by a nice CoolerMaster 620?
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=10130&vpn=HDRC62CBX1&manufacture=COOLERMASTER
Ho hum!

>That was one reason that I was going with the GeForce4 MX440 - I
>understand it is passively cooled and not as hot at as higher end cards.

Check beforehand. Some of the GeForce MX series come with active cooling;
check with the vendor (and remember that pics are often solely for
illustrational purposes).

>Could I put mobile cpu in that motherboard? Perhaps it would be worthwhile
>to spend a little more there in order to keep the heat down.

If you can get a hold of a low-power Athlon, it'll be well worth it. It'll
be cooler and give you smaller power bills. In the UK, I hear they're about
£10-20 more then the normal Athlons of the same power IIRC (if you can find
a stockist).

>I'll probably also go to a DVD ROM drive instead of the writeable, also to
>keep the heat down but also to keep the cost down. I figure burning will
>probably be much easier from my Mac anyway when I do need to archive stuff.

It will indeed, unless transfer time over the network is an issue. Make
sure the drive you get is easily region-freeable (if imported stuff is your
bag).

>Back to try to price out the changes!! Thanks again everyone!

Quad Opteron. You know it must be done :P