[mythtv-users] E: nvidia new drivers hdtv/interlacing, any benefit for us non HDTV people?

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Mon Jul 5 16:25:48 EDT 2004

HI!

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

>> 2.
>> When I watch shows from NTSC land, that have been converted to PAL,
>> motion and panning is jerky.
>
> I would imagine it would be since they use different refresh rates so
> you're never going to get "perfect" NTSC output on a PAL TV..

Allright, but it looks much better (less jerky, less blurry) on the PVR-350.

>> I have big audio buffer on and also enabled jitter reduction. Without
>> that, background motion is always jerky (even for native PAL shows).
>>
>> What else can I do? Will A/V sync and kerneldeint help eliminate blur
>> and jerky motion?
>
> Both might help.  Also make sure that you're not using Twinview, or XvMC

That is not the case.

> and that you've told the nvidia card that you have only have a TV
> connected and what format the TV is in.

I did.

OK, I have it now much better. I am using 720x576 interlaced, Flicker
Filter is 1, added kerneldeint and jitter reduction is on. A/V sync and
video as timebase did not help.

The new driver made small objects in motion less jumpy (maybe something
optimized there), 720x576 made it sharper and also made background
motion better (don't know why) and kerneldeint reduced motion blur.

It's still a bit blurry, so the PVR-350 is still better. But it's a step
in the right direction.

I also compared 720x576 non-interlaced and interlaced. It really looks a
bit different. You see it clearly, if you set the Flicker Filter to 0.

> Using a higher bitrate might also help.  It'll almost certainly help
> overall quality.

Since it looks great on the PVR-350, I did not change the bitrate.

Thanks!

Thomas