[mythtv-users] nvidia new drivers hdtv/interlacing, any benefit for us non HDTV people?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Jul 5 15:21:01 EDT 2004

Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 01:13:31AM +0200, Flo wrote:
>
>>The problem is, TV-Out isnt interlaced, so real interlace modes on Tvout
>>would be really helpfull. And i hoped that this would be the case on the new
>>drivers.
>

> NTSC and PAL television is interlaced by definition. If the TV out
> signal wasn't interlaced, your television wouldn't understand it.
>
> Interlaced modes won't make any difference, because it won't change
> what's going to the TV.
>
> I'm not sure what the effect of the refresh rate is. (Bruce?)

You rang?

> I was running 72 Hz according to my X log, though now I'm running 50 Hz.
> Both worked fine with the TV, but I don't know whether it was really 72
> Hz output to the TV. I know that my TV would do 60 Hz (they are all
> PAL/NTSC dual-mode here) but 72 Hz would be a stretch.

If it is doing PAL tv-out it would have to be 50Hz and any other
refresh rate in XF86Config-4 would have to be ignored for the
purposes of tv-out. I haven't ever tested what nVidia does with
bogus settings but I do know that GATOS "devel" tv-out ignore
refresh rate, color depth (it's always 16bbp) and display sizes
other than 640x480 or 800x600.

--  bjm