[mythtv-users] Yet another noobie sanity check ;-)

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Mon Jul 5 09:00:51 EDT 2004

At 08:37 05/07/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Thomas Börkel wrote:
>
>>>for my Mac, probably via SMB, but I can work that out later. Its,
>>>hopefully, going to be in my living room - so it needs to be quiet. I
>>>want to be able to add more video capture cards in the future and
>>>possibly a separate myth frontend for the bedroom.
>>

>>Hauppauge cards and the CPU create a lot of heat. So, you probably need
>>some fans.
>
>Not all that likely if the case has any airflow.  I have two in a case
>with a a single exhaust fan (60mm running a low voltage) and they're fine.

http://tech-report.com/reviews/2004q2/antec-aria/index.x?pg=7
http://reviews.pimprig.com/cases/antec_aria_micro_atx_cube_case.php?page=5
http://www.moddin.net/review.asp?ReviewID=142&PageNo=5

Personally, I consider these temperatures unacceptably high for a system
that's going to be on all the time. The Aria is a very cramped case, and
IIRC those old Athlon TBreds kick out a fair bit more heat than the newer
and higher performing Bartons.

Granted though, you'll be using a much lower power GFX card. I'd still be
worried about the HD though.

</thermalparanoia>

Just noticed, if you want to go for more capture cards in the future, I'd
forget about mATX and go straight to ATX. My mATX board can only handle one
IRQ-hungry PVR-250 at a time apparently (unless anyone knows some clever
APM/ACPI hacks).