[mythtv-users] Yet another noobie sanity check ;-)

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Mon Jul 5 04:49:28 EDT 2004

HI!

Brad wrote:

> for my Mac, probably via SMB, but I can work that out later. Its,
> hopefully, going to be in my living room - so it needs to be quiet. I
> want to be able to add more video capture cards in the future and
> possibly a separate myth frontend for the bedroom.

Hauppauge cards and the CPU create a lot of heat. So, you probably need
some fans.

> TV OUT        Aopen GE Force4 MX440SE

I would go for a FX5200 or higher. I think I read that the MX440 is
missing some features. My ASUS FX5200 card cost around $70.

> The questions:
> 1) This motherboard looks great for me. all the headers supplied in the
> case (USB, Firewire, SPDIF) plus expansion for the future. Is anyone
> using it sucessfully? Particularily I'm interested that I'll be able to
> get all on-board features working (sound, usb, firewire, SPDIF, network,
> etc). Is there a cheaper motherboard available that has all these
> features (perhaps w/o onboard video, which I don't think I'll be using
> anyway)?

I own an ASUS P4PE/X SE and I am quite satisfied. It costs around $80. I
would look for a MB with Intel chipset.

> 2) is there any point in a writeable DVD drive? Form what I can tell,
> Myth doesn't support writing dvds yet, if its even possible from Linux.

It's easily possible and if I did not have a WLAN connection between my
2 PCs, I would have a DVD writer in my Myth box.

> 4) can I really get away with 256Mb Ram? I'm trying to keep the costs
> down (its already more than I was prepared to spend)

A friend of mine tells me, it works OK. But most recommaned 512 MB.

> 5) how much space is needed for the system? I'm hoping to install a
> small HD with just the system on it. I have a few *old* drives, maybe
> 1.6G - 3G lying around... is that enough? I'm probably dreaming, but I'd
> like not to have to buy a 40G just for the system.

Here it needs 3.8 GB. But I have installed more than needed.

Thomas