[mythtv-users] Xvid4 and Nuvexport

Shawn Asmussen asmussen at cox.net
Mon Jul 5 02:41:40 EDT 2004

> [import_vob.so] tccat -i "/tvshows/1061_20040704003000_20040704010000.nuv"
> -t vo
>
> b -d 0 -S 0 | tcdemux -a 0 -x mp3 -S 0 -M 1 -d 0 | tcextract -t vob -a 0
> -x
> mp2
>
> -d 0 | tcdecode -x mp2 -d 0
>
> [import_mpeg2.so] tcextract -x mpeg2 -i
> "/tvshows/1061_20040704003000_2004070401
>
> 0000.nuv" -d 0 | tcdecode -x mpeg2 -d 0 -y yv12
>
> [export_xvid4.so] Neither './xvid4.cfg' nor '~/.transcode/xvid4.cfg'
>
> [export_xvid4.so] found. Default settings will be used instead.
>
> (decode_mpeg2.c) video write failed.
>
> ------------------------End nuvexport---------------
>

> When I do
>

> $locate xvid4.cfg
>

> I get
>
> /usr/lib/transcode/xvid4.cfg
>

> So I know I have the file its looking for and in the correct place.  I
> read
> thru a couple of posts, and it suggest chaging your export_Trans_XviD.pm
> so
> it says xvid4 instead of xvid, which Ive done, still no luck.

Well, whatever your problem is, I don't think that the xvid4.cfg file has
anything to do with it. The message that is displayed about not finding an
xvid4.cfg file isn't really an error, but is just informative. It is just
telling you that it has checked for a .cfg file in the current directory,
and in the user's home directory and did not find one, and therefore will
simply use the default values, which probably come from the xvid4.cfg file
that you found when you did your locate. If it does find an xvid4.cfg file
in one of those other places, the values from those files will override
the defaults. To verify this, you could copy the xvid4.cfg file to one of
the places it says it is looking for it, and that particular message
should go away. The error that comes next about the video write failed
would seem to me to be the actual problem, and does not appear to be
related to the xvid4.cfg messages that are displayed before that.

The fix which involves changing xvid to xvid4 in the perl module is a
workaround for another problem which you don't seem to be having. That
issue stems from transcode being installed to use xvid2 or xvid3 as the
default xvid type, when actually only xvid4 is installed. If that were
happening to you, you would be seeing an error about a shared library not
being found, and the library it would be looking for would be the same as
one that is installed on your system, but with a different version number.

Unfortunately, I am not really sure where your problem does lie. When I
first identified that other issue with xvid4 vs. xvid2, I found that it
was helpful to identify the exact command line that nuvexport ended up
executing, and then running that command manually from the command prompt.
Otherwise I found that the perl script was making it difficult to see some
of the error messages that were being printed.

Also, I cannot use deinterlacing when I export using xvid, or else
transcode segfaults. I don't know why, and I haven't heard anybody else
mention this particular problem. You could try answering No to the
deinterlace question, and see if it helps you at all. I don't really think
that's your problem, so it's kind of a longshot, but you could try it
anyway just to see what happens. Actually, I just logged into my mythtv
box to verify what the output looks like when I allow it to use
deinterlacing, and here are the last few lines that I got before it
failed:

[import_mpeg2.so] tcextract -x mpeg2 -i
"/mnt/store//1032_20040704170000_20040704180000.nuv" -d 0 | tcdecode -x
mpeg2 -d 0 -y yv12
[export_xvid4.so] Neither './xvid4.cfg' nor '~/.transcode/xvid4.cfg'
[export_xvid4.so] found. Default settings will be used instead.
(decode_mpeg2.c) video write failed.
Encode lasted: 5s

This looks a lot like what you posted, so maybe this is not such a
longshot afterall. Anyway, give it a try and let us know how it works out.
I still don't know why transcode blows up when I try to use it this way,
but at least it would be nice to know that somebody else sees the same
problem. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. It isn't just deinterlacing. You have
to tell it YES to enable noise reduction and NO to the deinterlacing for
it not to bomb out on my machine. Try it that way with all of the other
options left at the defaults and see if it works. If it does, at least you
have someplace to go from.

Sorry about changing the info halfway through the description. I was just
writing this kind of from memory, and testing it at the same time on my
mythtv box, and when I realized that I didn't quite have the description
right I didn't want to go back and edit the whole message, so I just added
on the extra info.

Shawn Asmussen