[mythtv-users] nuvexport to mono

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Jul 1 11:23:58 EDT 2004

> As another aside, I'm busy learning PHP at the moment (two days into it
> and it's wicked fun) and am considering writing an add-on for MythWeb
> that'll allow you to call and configure mencoder to do transcodes once
> I'm good enough; the companies workflow management system has gotta come
> first though.

I'd personally rather that you look at a way to improve nuvexport
(mencoder is just a wrapper like nuvexport -- if you want more options,
then add more options to nuvexport).  mencoder doesn't work for those of
us using software encode methods (and nuvexport has auto-detection
routines for nuv vs mpeg files), so I'd be very unlikely to add
something to mythweb that only a fraction of mythtv users can use, when
there is another tool in wider use that works for everyone.

On that note, I've discussed this before.   I'd *LOVE* to add nuvexport
support to mythweb.  There are several things that are preventing me
from doing this:

1. I'd like to be able to get larger thumbnails from mythbackend (no one
tells me how, or if this is even possible)

2. I don't want to just "start" a process and then have it go.  To do
things right, there would need to be database support, with the ability
to track progress and show when an encode is finished (and preferably
have a way to show if there was an error, something nuvexport can't do
at the moment, either).

3. There was talk of making mythtranscode itself capable of saving into
a variety of formats.  I keep hoping that this will happen and that
nuvexport (which really was just a quick hack so I could save to svcd)
can be retired.

----

As for the whole stereo->mono thing, I haven't heard anything about the
quality issues, but you should be able to find the ffmpeg (or toolame or
mp2enc) call and add the necessary flag.  And I'd be happy to accept a
patch to add this in, if you also include a query to the user
(defaulting to stereo).

-Chris