[mythtv-users] PVR-350 - PAL-I Variant, for use in Ireland?

Lorcan Hamill lh-mythtv at lorcanhamill.com
Sat Jan 31 21:09:52 EST 2004

Steve Dwyer wrote:
<snip>
>>This, along with Marc's reply, is making me feel better.
>>But I'm still confused - I just checked www.savastore.com, and their
>>specs for the 350 say "Analogue Video Format: PAL-B/G", just like on
>>simply.co.uk.  Are you sure it's the PAL-I version you got?  I'm
>>beginning to think that the UK websites are using incorrect specs.
>

> Mine is definately PAL-I, it says so on the tuner and it comes up as PAL-I
> when I 'modprobe tveeprom'.

Thanks for that - it's the first real confirmation I've had that
the UK is PAL-I - and it has convinced me that the UK websites
are just using "generic European" specs given to them by Hauppauge,
or something like that.

>>Can you (or anyone else) clear something up for me?  What exactly
>>is the most commonly-used broadcast standard in the UK?  If I'm
>>in England, picking up BBC1 with a rooftop antenna, is that going
>>to be a PAL-I, PAL-G or PAL-B signal - and will it be on the
>>VHF or UHF bands?  I'm assuming that 350's sold in the UK will
>>be able to receive that signal, whatever it is...
>
> Most common is PAL-I, I believe.

Ah, yes - it all starts to make sense... :)

>>On a happier note, savastore.com now have them slightly cheaper
>>(104.85 ex vat).
>

> I know, They put the price down just after I got mine! :(

Typical! Guess that was a happier note for me, not for you. :)

Thanks again,

Lorcan