[mythtv-users] OT: Programming a universal remote with an IR keyboard

laity at nb.sympatico.ca laity at nb.sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 30 20:25:54 EST 2004

> On Friday 30 January 2004 15:46, Bruce Markey wrote:
> > Clay Boeschen wrote:
> >
> > > The keyboard works beautifully with my Myth machine.  I plugged it
> > > in and it just worked, absolutely no problems or quirks.  Since it
> > > worked so perfectly, I figured it was time to program some of the
> > > key commands into my universal IR remote.  Here is where the
> > > problems come in.  The following keys from the keyboard can be
> > > mapped to any button on my universal remote: 1, F1, Fn,
> > > PauseBreak, I.  Those keys always work, no matter what button on
> > > the universal remote I program them to.  They also work with the
> > > Myth machine and the keyboard's IR receiver.  There might be more
> > > but I haven't found them yet.  Just about every single other key
> > > on the keyboard cannot be programmed into my universal remote --
> > > it seems to reject them.
> > >
> > > My question is: does anyone have any idea what's going on?  Why
> > > won't the other keys work, while those other five DO work?  The
> > > keyboard model is SK-7500.
> >
> > I use a LiteOn keyboard and Marantz remote and it's all happy.
> > However, there is no guarantee that any learning remote and
> > IR keyboard will work together. In fact, I suspect that
> > combinations that work are few and far between. I bought and
> > returned a series of cheap learning remotes from Fry's and
> > most would learn a few keys, a couple didn't learn any and
> > none of then were usable with the LiteOn keyboard.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with your keyboard or remote so I don't know
> > what might work if anything. However, if you are not embarrassed by
> > returning items, you may want to test other devices.
>
> The other issue that I ran into, at least with my universal remote, is
> that it didn't have enough memory to learn all the keys I wanted to
> program (about 40). It meant I had no choice but to make the remote
> work with lirc, rather than simply circumventing it with an IR
> keyboard receiver. However, in the end, I'm quite happy, and it really
> wasn't that hard.
>
> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/rs15-2116.html
>
> - --
> Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
I use the NAD HTR-2 remote that came with my NAD T752.  It's
taken everything I've thrown at it so far.  It's memorized my chicony
keyboard, vcr, dvd and satellite remotes.  It's miles better than the
sony rm vl1000 I used previously.  Much easier to use and switching
between components is a breeze. It even lights up so you aren't
squinting in the dark trying to find buttons.  The only downside so far
is that it eats batteries (4xAAA).  You'd have to search for availability
and price as mine came with the a/v receiver.  Here's a url.
http://www.nadelectronics.com/remotes/index.htm

cheers,
RickRick VE1GN
laity at nb.sympatico.ca