[mythtv-users] OT: Programming a universal remote with an IR keyboard

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Jan 30 18:46:43 EST 2004

Clay Boeschen wrote:
> The keyboard works beautifully with my Myth machine.  I plugged it in
> and it just worked, absolutely no problems or quirks.  Since it worked
> so perfectly, I figured it was time to program some of the key commands
> into my universal IR remote.  Here is where the problems come in.  The
> following keys from the keyboard can be mapped to any button on my
> universal remote: 1, F1, Fn, PauseBreak, I.  Those keys always work, no
> matter what button on the universal remote I program them to.  They also
> work with the Myth machine and the keyboard's IR receiver.  There might
> be more but I haven't found them yet.  Just about every single other key
> on the keyboard cannot be programmed into my universal remote -- it
> seems to reject them.
>
> My question is: does anyone have any idea what's going on?  Why won't
> the other keys work, while those other five DO work?  The keyboard model
> is SK-7500.

I use a LiteOn keyboard and Marantz remote and it's all happy.
However, there is no guarantee that any learning remote and
IR keyboard will work together. In fact, I suspect that
combinations that work are few and far between. I bought and
returned a series of cheap learning remotes from Fry's and
most would learn a few keys, a couple didn't learn any and
none of then were usable with the LiteOn keyboard.

I'm not familiar with your keyboard or remote so I don't know
what might work if anything. However, if you are not embarrassed
by returning items, you may want to test other devices.

Chicony makes an IR keyboard that is much more learning remote
friendly but it's a lousy keyboard. However, if you expect to
use the remote most of the time, you may want to try this one.

--  bjm