[mythtv-users] Watching recordings in progress

Jason G. sredni.vashtar at comcast.net
Wed Jan 28 23:26:19 EST 2004

    Hi,

    I've just noticed something that I'm not sure is a feature or a bug.

    I had been watching some shows that I'd recorded overnight, and had
finally caught up.  There was an episode of the Simpsons that had started at
7:30, and the recording was still in progress.  I (apparently foolishly)
decided that I wanted to watch that from the start while it was still
recording.  This operation happened fine, but it turns out that the
recording stopped when I started watching the recording.

    So, my first question is:  Is this supposed to happen?  It doesn't seem
like it should, but if that's the way things work, I don't want to put a lot
of time looking for a problem that's not there.  (I imagine I'm supposed to
be able to watch (from the beginning) something that's being recorded, and
that the NFS setup I'm using is borking things up.)

    On related note, I've noticed that I can get the frontend/backend to get
_super_ confused when trying to delete programs that didn't complete (like
this one).  When I select it for deletion, and choose "Yes, but record this
episode again", I can hear disk activity in the other room on the NFS
server, and the frontend seems to freeze.  After about 15-20 seconds, the
GUI starts to redraw, but stops after rendering the program list and the
episode list (the details and preview don't render in the bottom half of the
screen).  At this point the frontend is hung.  After restarting the
frontend, I can repeat the hang as many times as I'd like (i.e. try to
delete the partial program, long pause, hang).  The only way out of this
viscious circle is to restart the backend process.  Once that's done, the
deletion occurs as normal.  This definitely seems like a bug.  Any ideas on
where I'd start tracking it down?

    Thanks,
    Jason