[mythtv-users] The REAL test of Myth

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 10:55:27 EST 2004

I've found good acceptance of Myth at our house.  My original
backend/frontend is in the basement.  While I always had "media everywhere"
in mind, the original use for my wife and I was Seinfeld, Lettermand and the
Daily Show for treadmill viewing.  The end of scanning a videotape for the
show you haven't seen, accidental erasures, etc etc instantly became
requirements for me.  My wife more slowly got drawn in to the "necessity."

I added a frontend in the kitchen in December.  Spent my money on a modest
LCD and used a computer salvaged from our local recycling center.  The box
is on the top shelf of the pantry (DVD drive upside down so the box can be
upside down on the top shelf), with VGA and sound cables running through the
wall and a wireless keyboard/mouse).  I implemented internet radio through
the xml menus and now this is our kitchen TV/media center/info center
(ctrl-Tab to switch between desktop and Myth).

Things I notice:

My wife looks to me to do all scheduling but that's really because I take
care of it and therefore why should she bother.  I think mythweb actually
provides the easier interface.

I use the commercial skip button.  My wife uses the 30-second skip because
she doesn't remember which is the commercial skip button and it's close
enough for her not to care, while I still say "cool" to myself every time I
see a seamless commercial skip. This is a sign of a maturing "product."
Multiple ways of doing things and each user finding his/her own way
according to preferences and what they care about.