[mythtv-users] Kind of offtopic - how do you make a DVD under linux?

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 27 11:22:35 EST 2004

Quoting Dwaine Garden <DwaineGarden at rogers.com>:

> Ajay Sharma wrote:
>

> >I've used mkdvd and it works, but it's DAMN SLOW.  I have an Athlon
> >1900+ and transcoding about a hour of video took four days.  No joke,
> >FOUR DAYS.  But at the end of the whole process, I had a DVD ISO that I
> >burned with k3b.
> >
> >Someone posted a howto on the Gentoo forums for how to burn a DVD using
> >Linux tools:
> >
> >http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=117709
> >
> >Obviously it's a little gentoo specific but the programs are the same.
> >
> >later,
> >ajay
> >

> That just sucks.   I'm trying to get some videos onto a dvd-r and watch
> them on my player.   Seems impossible.
>
> Even nuvexport takes about two days to make a svcd.
>
> I can not believe all the utils in Linux, and all of them suck that
> much.  It kind of defeats the purpose of buying a PVR-350 card.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions getting the output from the PVR-350
> onto a dvd-+r disc.    Actually watching it on a dvd player?
Read through the archives.  If you're using a PVR-x50 or other ivtv board,
burning DVDs is easy and fast.  I posted a script to do it within the past two
weeks.

Short answer:  Make sure to use a DVD-compliant MPEG2 profile in your PVR-x50
encoder settings.  Remultiplex the .nuv file (which is an MPEG2 program stream)
and then pipe that to dvdauthor.

If you want to cut out commercials, use a CVS version of avidemux.  (The current
release version has audio header detection code that breaks easily.)