[mythtv-users] Can you use myth without a capture card?

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Tue Jan 27 05:33:21 EST 2004

me wrote:

>  Im trying to test mythtv out on my box (it doesnt have a capture card) to
>see if I want to get rid of my tivo.  Can I run it without a capture card?  I
>keep getting errors about the backend isnt running, and I think Ive started
>it but Mythtv disagrees with me on that last point.

Well you can but it'd be really hard to decide if you want to get rid of
your Tivo without comparing them.  No capture card means no TV and no
recordings.  You can use the various plugins just fine though.

If you're getting errors about your backend either 1) you haven't
started it, 2) Something is stopping the frontend from reaching the
backend (like a firewall), or  3) The backend is crashing.