[mythtv-users] gentoo install: mythtv and mythfrontend block each other

apt22 at drexel.edu apt22 at drexel.edu
Mon Jan 26 22:19:54 EST 2004

Omer Shenker wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm rebuilding my myth box from scratch with gentoo. I've got up to
> having mysql and qt installed. I've even emerged mythdvd, mythgallery,
> mythgame, mythmusic, mythnews, mythvideo, mythweather, and
> mythtv-themes. But...
>
> helium portage # emerge -pv mythtv
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [blocks B     ] media-tv/mythfrontend (from pkg media-tv/mythtv-0.13-r1)
> [ebuild   R   ] media-tv/mythtv-0.13-r1  -alsa -lcd +lirc -nvidia
>
> helium portage # emerge -pv mythfrontend
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [blocks B     ] media-tv/mythtv (from pkg media-tv/mythfrontend-0.13)
> [ebuild   R   ] media-tv/mythfrontend-0.13  -alsa -lcd +lirc -nvidia
>
> So it seems to me that neither is installed yet they both are blocking
> on the other. My understanding from the Gentoo Handbook is that 'X
> blocks on Y' means unmerge Y before you can emerge X, but in this case
> Y was never emerged.
>
> (Yes, I've done a recent emerge sync.) Any experienced gentoo users
> know what's going on?

I am a gentoo user.  I do not know exactly what is going on here, but by
the looks of it, I'd say you already have MythTV installed.  [ebuild
R]  The 'R' here means rebuild or re-emerge and in your message, you say
you have already merged many Myth components.  The portage will not let
you merge Myth components unless MythTV is merged (or you used the flag
--no-deps).  Rebuild your locate database (locate -u) and then try to
find mythbackend, mythfrontend, etc.(locate mythbackend).

Hope this helps
Drew