[mythtv-users] Question on software RAID

Trey Boudreau trey at treysoft.com
Mon Jan 26 14:52:24 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 08:58:32AM -1000, James L. Paul wrote:

> Somewhat OT, but I'm recommending hardware RAID5 instead of software.

> Notice I'm not talking about CPU usage. My sole basis for preferring hardware
> RAID5 is data integrity. Hardware RAID is now cheap for ATA drives, I chose
> 3ware because of native kernel support and low cost. My intent here is simply
> to provide another data point, for whatever that's worth.

I'd like to second that recommendation.  I've had nothing but good luck
with my 3ware cards.  I run a 7450 with 4x60GB RAID5 and an 8506 with
4x250GB RAID5 plus hot spare.  I bought the 7450 for Win2K because I
didn't trust the OS and the 8506 for Linux because I wanted to run
MythTV.  Now, if my pcHDTV cards will just show up in the mail today,
I'll have a data source that can *really* stress the 8506 :-)

-- Trey