[mythtv-users] great IBM rf wireless keyboard, only $50

David Jeske jeske at chat.net
Mon Jan 26 03:16:01 EST 2004

If any of you are looking for a nice RF wireless keyboard
(w/integrated pointing device) to use with your home theatre setup, I
recommend you check out the IBM wireless navigator pro. It's the best
one I've found, and ironically it's also nearly the cheapest.

http://www.zones.com/cgi-bin/zones/site/product/index.html?id=000520642

I've played with lots of wireless keyboard/mouse combos over the
years, mostly in my friends' home theatre setups. The IR keyboards
are always the worst experience. It's really hard to hold them in the
right direction while typing. Logitech sells some wireless keyboards
and mice, but they are full-size keyboards and separate mice. Not
very easy to hand around the living room or operate on the couch. The
ones which do have an integrated pointing device are either really
expensive, glitchy, or have a very hard to use pointing device.

The IBM Wireless Navigator pro has dually impressed me. The RF
reception seems good. The pointing device is a giant-sized thumbstick
vaguely reminiscent of the touchpoint. Despite having full-size keys,
the keyboard is compact with no numeric keypad and a compressed
nav-key layout. The overall look is pleasant and slightly retro, with
black keys and a dark steel-blue face. The mouse buttons are on the
left side, requiring two hands to operate as a mouse. It would have
been nice if there was a duplicate set of mouse buttons on the right
near the thumb stick, for one-handed mouse operation. However, this
is a small flaw in an otherwise great wireless keyboard. Somehow,
even with IBM's reputable brand behind it, I was able to pick one up
online for $50. For a wireless keyboard, this is a steal. Buy one
while you still can.

- David