[mythtv-users] Seeking advice about components

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sun Jan 25 10:05:19 EST 2004

azrael at azrael-uk.f2s.com wrote:

> The main question would be what sort of specification is required and
> where it becomes unnecessary. eg is 512ram enough, is there a
> recognisable advantage to 1GB ram? Is there noticable performance
> increase using an AMD XP 3200+ (barton) rather than just an AMD XP
> 2800+ (thoroughbred) ?

You can use a 2600 and still have more than enough CPU.  The only thing
you need a lot of CPU for is things like transcoding a DVD to MPEG4,
which is a multi-hour process no matter what CPU you have.  BUT this
goes on in the background so you can do other things.

> What software do people use successfully for DVD burning under linux?

Personally I use K3b for most of my burning, and dvb-mplex+dvd author
for making video DVDs of MythTV recordings.  I'm working on a plugin for
DVD burning in Myth to make it allot easier.

> Anyone have problems installing mythtv on Mandrake 9.2? I am
> considering that to be my distro of choice.

If you're new to Linux, or want to get up and running hassle free I
recommend Fedora Core and Jarrod's guide.  It's the most painless way to
get running that I know of if you want to use your box for more than
just MythTV. (otherwise KnoppMyth is a good option).