[mythtv-users] Seeking advice about components

azrael at azrael-uk.f2s.com azrael at azrael-uk.f2s.com
Sun Jan 25 07:20:01 EST 2004

Hi all, I'm planning to put together a mythtv box and I am trying to
work out what components to buy.

The main question would be what sort of specification is required and
where it becomes unnecessary. eg is 512ram enough, is there a
recognisable advantage to 1GB ram? Is there noticable performance
increase using an AMD XP 3200+ (barton) rather than just an AMD XP 2800+
(thoroughbred) ?

Now.. when it comes to motherboard, microATX is good for size reasons.
But is there a loss of performance from using an ATX mobo? The two
mobo's I have in mind are:

ATX - ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe -
http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=90710

microATX - AOpen SoA nForce2 MATX A V L -
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/motherboardsandaccessories/productView.htm?quicklinx=2CR3

First takes BUS Speed CPU's up to 400, latter takes only 333 .. would
there be any noticable difference in mythtv performance?

Are there any incompatabilities in certain motherboards I should be
aware of so they can be avoided?

The rest of the spec:

Hauppuage WinTV PVR 350
Hauppuage DEC 1000t
802.11g PCI card
DVD Burner - Pioneer DVR107 ± DVD
RAM - 2 x 1.0Gb PC2700 (PC333) DDR Memory Major Non Ecc Retail

Additional comments:

What software do people use successfully for DVD burning under linux?

When it comes to DDR ram I'm a ltitle bit ignorant over the differences
between ECC registered, non ecc, and what I would need for whichever
mobo I finally decide on.

Anyone have problems installing mythtv on Mandrake 9.2? I am considering
that to be my distro of choice.

I hope this e-mail isn't too jumbled and that someone can make sense of
it and offer advice, many thanks.

--
                 Azrael

Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave
of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it
would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

Registered Linux User: 269002