[mythtv-users] Re: Managing multiple video archives & Watch Recordings vs. MythVideo

Jeff jeff at intersystems.com
Sat Jan 24 14:00:44 EST 2004

At 12:02 PM 1/24/2004 -0500, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>comments in line
>
>Jeff wrote:
>
>>I think there is some benefit to keeping some separation between
>>newly recorded shows and the "library". The current recording list
>>serves as a work list of things to be edited before they are moved to
>>the library.
>
>All you're really talking about is categorizing content here.  There's no
>real need to shuffle *files* around unless you're changing the file
>itself.  Otherwise all you need to do change the library metadata to
>reflect where you want the file to show up.

I was thinking that archived (library) shows are the output of mkmovie,
etc. I was
also thinking that you might want a "smallish" non-journaled filesystem for
recording
output but that for the archive you might want a jfs to avoid the fsck
issues on a
multi-GB/TB "disk" at boot.

 From the library point of view it shouldn't matter where the files
live...it can
include as many directory trees as you want.  I suspect the library module
probably
doesn't even know about directories, it may only see the database and the
database
contains information on the physical location of the files.

>>This relates to the library because each user profile would have a "level"
>>similar to the parental control level (perhaps that's all it is). The
>>parental
>>control level is not available on the Recorded Show menus though.  The
>>library
>>would only list content that is viewable by the current user.  I was
>>thinking that
>>the library would be organized as a tree by content where the level would
>>be put
>>on the tree structure (directory level) rather than each individual file.
>I agree parental controls needs to be a Myth wide thing, I'm not sure it
>needs to be all that elaborate though.  Wouldn't something as simple as
>assigning a parental control level to channels/shows as well as library
>categories do the trick?  Little Johnny could look at the recordings if he
>wanted he just wouldn't see anything he's not allowed to watch in the list.

Sure, it could be that simple. I wasn't suggesting that everything on my
list needs to be done to have something useful...it is where I am
thinking I might want to end up...to trigger feedback and the like.

For instance, you mention that there needs to be a PL added to the library
and to channels/shows. At first take I thought that having the PL in two places
isn't a good idea as you'd rather just have one copy to maintain. However
there
may be shows where you want the "live" version (which includes the unedited
recorded
copy) to have a higher PL than the library version. These are shows where
you want
to edit them before they get the "lower" rating. Having a different PL on the
library than on the recording is useful here. This implies that there will be
some separation (logically or physically) between recordings that are part
of the
library and those that aren't and some user action that gets taken to move or
include shows in the library. The alternative is that the PL rating is a
property of
the individual recordings and I don't think this is good. You'd want (I
think) to be
able to adjust the PL of all the recordings of a given "show" with a simple
change.