[mythtv-users] Re:looks like ananova pulled the plug on tv_grab_uk

Johannes Niess linux at johannes-niess.de
Sat Jan 24 08:55:42 EST 2004

Am Samstag, 24. Januar 2004 13:56 schrieb Paul Webster:
> If anyone wants to get Scheduled recordings from DigiGuide into mythtv then
> I am happy to help.
> (I did similar thing for users of hacked TiVo).
>
> As others have said - getting the raw listings data out of DigiGuide (for
> more than half a day or so) is a no-no.
>
> The Broadcasting Data Services site that is probably to be used next by
> XMLTV is the same source as used my nearly all of the commercial offerings
> in the UK. Once they start getting hit with hundreds of end-user FTP GETs
> then I suspect that they might just change their terms.
>
> DigiGuide does some enrichment of the listings content for some of the
> programmes (like adding star ratings, actors, series and episode details)
> but most others simply regurgitate as is.
>
> The basic problem is that a full set of UK listings costs around 15K GBP
> per year.  So people like DigiGuide, MS with their Media Center, onthebox
> etc etc have to have a  model to recoup their outlay.
>
> My own suspicion is that the best way in the future will be for the TV
> tuner cards to capture the EPG data that is broadcast ... and then have
> software to capture/view etc
> I haven't looked closely at mythtv to see if it has modules to do this, but
> I do know that there is software around that can for some of the satellite
> cards.
>
> Paul Webster (DABDig -
> http://www.spidersweb.freeserve.co.uk/dab/dabdig.htm )

nxtvepg uses european teletext pages designed for that. Just switch off
using /dev/vbi from within mythtv, run nxtvepg as daemon and schedule
database dumps in xmltv format.

It has some disadvanages:
- timings for about a week
- detailed describtion for a couple of days
- not all stations

I'd like to have a "xmltv-unify" application that merges info from different
xmltv sources. It needs config info to cope with the channel id's differing
by data provider and merging them into one resulting channel.

Johannes Nieß