[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-users] mythtv does not set PAL/NTSC correctly

Rich Harkins rich at worldsinfinite.com
Fri Jan 23 11:09:48 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 10:39, Claudio Fleiner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently mythtv does not seem to set NTSC correctly in my setup.
> If I set it by hand before calling mythfrontend it works just
> fine. However, recordings are made in PAL. I have selected NTSC
> in the setup, but from all I can tell mythtv does not change that
> particular setting of my WinTV card at all.
>
> My setup: RH 9, Via Epia M6000 board, mythtv 0.13, WinTV Hauppauge
> card using v4l linux, Kernel 2.4.24
>
> Any ideas what needs to be changed?
>
> Thanks, Claudio

I ran across this when setting my box up this week.  I have no idea what
the issue is, and added a bunch of debugging around channel.cpp's SetFormat
method (which was my best guess as to the code that controls that).  The
debugging, sadly, didn't end up leading me to a conclusion -- other than the
only way I could get it to work was by adding fmt = "NTSC" after the first
fmt = if block (I'm not in front of my myth box, so I can't give you an exact
line #).  After recompiling/installing it works like a champ.

Also, I _do_ have /etc/modules.conf updated so that tuner is the correct type,
so it's not a module setup issue.

A couple of odd things I noted while I was trying to debug it:

1. The routine was called twice during startup of the backed.  The first time
it honored my setting (NTSC), but the second time SetFormat() was called it
was given an empty string format.  This appeared to end up causing the card
to default to PAL-M (mode = 3 IIRC).  However, trying to override that didn't
fix the issue.

2. I tried modifying the database to set the tvformat column on the "channels"
table to NTSC.  This _did_ work, which makes me suspicious that the problem is
somehow related to some channel-specific mode stuff somewhere.  Setting
tvformat to "Default" didn't help though -- only "NTSC" would work.

3. I ended up forcing the code to use NTSC because I didn't want mythfilldatabase
to monkey with the tvformat settings and screw me up again (especially when
I'm recording "Dead Like Me" :) ).

Anyway, that's what I found out so far -- I'm new to this list so I apologize
if this has been addressed (I couldn't find any references to this in the
archives).

Rich