[mythtv-users] KWorld Card/Gentoo

Richard Gibert lists at gibert.ca
Fri Jan 23 05:17:02 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 01:40, David Peach wrote:
> Software:
> Gentoo 1.4
> MythTV 0.13
> Kernel 2.4.22
>
> Hardware:
> KWorld BT878 Based TV Tuner card (KW-TV878RF-PRO)
> Radeon 32MB (not sure which one but lspci give me this: "VGA compatible
> controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R100 QD [Radeon 7200]")

> When I go into Input Connections there is nothing there. The terminal is
> saying: Couldn't open /dev/video0 to probe its inputs.

> dpeach

Heres an obvious question on something you didn't mention, have you
added the user trying to access /dev/video0 to the video group?

Gentoo sets permissions for /dev/v4l/video0 (what /dev/video0 is linked
to) to 660 (root:video) using devfsd, so if you aren't in the video
group you won't have any access to the device.  I know I just ran into
this exact same permission problem today when I was rebuilding my mythtv
box (Gentoo 2004.0pre + Myth 0.13 + Kernel 2.6.1) and forgot to add my
user to the video group.

Might I also suggest checking to make sure your user is in the audio
group.  That may turn into a future problem.

Hopefully that fixes your problem.

Richard