[mythtv-users] LiveTV playback hickup every 3-5 minutes

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Fri Jan 23 03:53:47 EST 2004

I've got my system setup pretty nicely now, there was some weirdness with
my TV-out like automaticly blurring the the image. But that's almost all
fixed, but one major thing.

It plays smooth with MPEG-4 encoding, but once every 3-5 minutes (haven't
timed it, seems ages though untill it occures again) the playback
hicks/skips, you miss a half a sec or something. From what I can tell it
must be in the playback, since rewinding doesn't seem to show the hickup
lateron.

I've looked at top for 20 minutes or so, and the only symptom you see is
that total CPU usage drops from 50ish to 44ish for one top refresh cycle.
Just as if the decoder just stops for a while. (could it be hitting the end
of the video buffer?). Low free memory doesn't seem to trigger anything
(most is taken by file buffers, so that shouldn't have been a problem,
unless it was MS Windows)

Setting my harddisks acoustic management to 254 (=off) seemed to help, but
lateron it had the same thing again. Yes, I've got jitter reduction on.
Experimental A/V sync 'reversed' my A/V problem, you can then hear the
sound slightly up front (need to find some finegrained sync option
anyways). Haven't really tried the extra audio buffers, will do off coarse.

I'll try fiddeling some settings like these and others, but any suggestions
welcome.

Setup:
Asus Pundit
512MB DDR, Corsair