[mythtv-users] Tuner Card w/ Svideo Inputs & PCI Sound Transfer

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 00:43:03 EST 2004

I do have a WinTV PCI card, but I'm in the process of
replacing it with a PVR-350 (having already replaced
another BT878 card with a PVR-250).  The audio and
picture quality are pretty good, and if you crank up
the resolution, it'll look great.

But, you won't be able to use all four of these cards
simultaneously with any CPU on the market that I know
of (well, maybe a high-end Athlon64).  Each software
capture card (of which the WinTV PCI is) requires 1GHz
of CPU power for capturing, according to the MythTV
FAQ.

If you're going to go with 4 PVR-250's, make sure that
you get a very good motherboard, since that will
generate a lot of traffic over the PCI bus, and lots
of DMA action.  The card handles the encoding, but
it's still a lot of data to pass.  Some VIA chipsets
can't handle it, although I haven't had a problem with
my KT400 board with a single PVR-250.  Other people
swear by nForce2 boards, but I tried one and had
stuttering in the video.

It's a lot of money to shell out, so make sure you do
your research...

-- Joe