[mythtv-users] just watching TV is jumpy

Curtis Wood curtis at penguinbrat.com
Thu Jan 22 18:14:39 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 17:45, Michael wrote:

> > I cannot even watch TV because it
> > is jumpy, jittery, and the video falls behind the audio.

Try setting the experimental a/v sync option in the playback settings -
and also there is another option about the jittery'ness (need a certain
CPU though).

> > I have no problems watching TV using xawtv, TV Time, mplayer, etc.

The catch with MythTV is the liveTV (pausing,rewind,ff,etc...) - the
others simply dish out what the card gives....

> I forgot to mention that it is also EXTREMELY slow and jumpy just moving
> through the program guide without doing any TV watching or recording.

This tells me that 1) either your box is not powerfull enough to handle
everything, or 2) something else is hogging up the CPU - run 'top' to
see what is hogging what while running MythTV, and also issue 'uptime'
to see what the load average is. As a note - I had a stick of bad ram
(128mg) that would cause the system load to sky rocket, i guess that the
kernel was trying to compensate for it all the time...