[mythtv-users] looks like ananova pulled the plug on tv_grab_uk

Thu Jan 22 17:32:32 EST 2004

I dont see how their copyright should stop you from using a perl script to
grab the data from their site, unless you started distributing it. Its
doable, but really, shouldnt we try to find a stable method of getting
listings? Instead of hopping between providers as they block us, we could
try negotiating with digiguide.
http://forums.digiguide.com/topic.asp?id=12333 mentions they looked into
this sort of thing, but dismissed it because there wasnt enough interest,
so we should show them there is interest?
Although, while i think digiguide is one of the best sources, and i use it
on my windows desktop, they of course wont give us a xml feed, i suspect
they would want a closed source binary as mark mentions. And then we lose
our control..

Paul

Sorry if this was posted twice, i sent it from the wrong email first time
so i dont tihnk it will make it to the list.

> Mark Cooper wrote:
>> K.R. Foley wrote:
>>
>>> Why doesn't someone, that needs this, just create a perl script that
will use their web based version and pull it off the site and put it
into the XML format? If in fact you don't mind paying for the service,
why would they care if your web browser was faster than most :)? Is

>> Unfortunately - http://www.gipsymedia.com/general/copyright.html
>>

> That pretty much sums it up. :( Personally I think this is bull. I would
>   look into trying to find another source of this data, just so that I
> could tell them to take a hike. This touches along a lot of the same
lines as fair use of your CDs or DVDs. If you pay for the service, don't
supply anyone else with the data and don't throttle their site, why
should they care.