[mythtv-users] scheduling priority inversion...show me what a record will do!

David Jeske jeske at chat.net
Thu Jan 22 03:20:26 EST 2004

Today mythtv did something very strange.

I have two "record any time on this channel" recordings. One is +5,
one is +4.  Not realilzing they were all at the same time, I put in a
single-show record at the same time. I have two tuners. The trouble
is, it dropped the +5 show!

Of course this seems like some kind of odd priority inversion bug,
and I think someone else already wrote about it. However, my point is
different.

The frustration here wasn't because it did something I didn't expect.
The frustration was that I didn't know this was what it was going to
do. I try to periodically check conflicts, and I never say anything
in the conflicts screen about it not recording the +5 show. I'll
swear that it said it was going to record it.

In this area, I was much happer with Tivo, because it would simply
tell me what todo alterations a change would incur. If I didn't like
the alterations, I would avoid making the change.

In Myth, when I'm trolling the program guide and I see a neat looking
show, I have to look at the time and try to remember my recordings to
get an idea of whether or not it'll kick something out. Mythtv can
tell me this, but it doesn't.

I know... he who writes the code. I just spent yesterday getting my
only box working again after an apt-get upgrade rendered it
non-working. I need to get a separate dev box setup before I can risk
bringing up the cvs head. I just wanted to throw one more in the hat
for myth being more explicit about what it is going to do with the
todo list.

p.s. I switched from 'use recording priorities and then traditional
methods' to just 'use recording priorities', maybe that will help.
p.p.s For the curious, +5 was Smallville, +4 was Enterprise, one-off
was Apprentice. Anyone have a copy of Smallville:Whisper they can
P2P?

- David