[mythtv-users] Mythtv and PVR 350: dumb question: where can I check the channels?

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Tue Jan 20 12:52:02 EST 2004

Am Di, den 20.01.2004 schrieb Hanno Wagner um 14:19:
> Hi,
>
> since two months or so I read the mails here and I have now started
> to install my own TVPC. I used Torsten Schenkes Walkthrough (which
> is quite good, but some minor bits are missing, like additional
> installing of cvs

Oops, I did forget about that one. You're the first one to note that :-)

Fixed!

> and creating the directory-structure for user
> mythtv earlier),

That's generated automagically if you tell debian to create the user
during install. It should get generated as well when you create a user
with "adduser", shouldn't it?

>  but it is very good for understanding.

Thank you.

> What I have not yet been able to do was to tune the PVR-Card. He
> mentioned a tool in the ivtv-sources and there is apparently
> something similar in the setup of mythtv-backend. But is there some
> kind of automatic scans for all available channels somewhere? So
> that I can check which channels the card can see and that I can
> connect the channels to the EPG-data? Or am I just blind and do not
> find the key to generate such automatic list (like any new TV can
> provide ;-)?

That's a bit difficult here in germany. The xmltv provider closed down,
as did the tv-movie server (scrambled their content to prevent the
exhaustive use the listing got recently :-)

You'll have to contact your cable provider for a channel listing and
build an xawtvrc file which you can import into mythtv.

For epg listings there is the script by Lars Heer called xmlprg_de.pl.
Search the archives for it or get it from my site (go to the directory
level below the walkthrough, there you'll find all the config files)

Hopefully we'll get VBI support soon, so NextView will work.

> Ciao, Hanno, who looks forward to use his small pc for
> videorecording and testing with 2.6-kernels ;-)

2.6. and ivtv is a whole new story I heard. Good luck!

Torsten
--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough