[mythtv-users] Suggestion: use of broadcast/multicast for mythtv Live TV streams

Robert Rozman rozman at fri.uni-lj.si
Tue Jan 20 05:41:57 EST 2004

Hi,

I have a suggestion if it's not too much work. Yesterday I played with open
source Videolan client (vlc at www.videolan.org) and have opportunity to
test some built in streaming features. I like the idea of broadcast (strema
is simply sent to broadcast ip address of subnet), and watched same stream
from 4 different clients. Also more advanced multicast feature is in, where
there are more streams going into special multicast addresses and clients
can connect to them (like IPTV - but it requires some settings in subnets
and multicast aware HW beyond that).

I still think that at least broadcast feature would be nice for Live TV - in
this case we could watch same stream in all connected frontends, but only
the first one is able to control the stream (pause,ffwd,back,...).

BTW, what kind of stream is used in Mythtv? Maybe just sending to broadcast
address (192.168.0.255 is for instance broadcast address for subnet
192.168.0.x) would suffince in this case - broadcast address means that
packets are not addressed so every computer better its network card on local
subnet will see those - whether he likes them or not...

HTH,

Robert.

All recordings streaming can further stay in video on demand style - cause
that's more needed feature.