[mythtv-users] Aspect ratio mix-up; 16:9 showing as 4:3

Ryan Daigle rwdaigle at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 21:15:56 EST 2004

At one point, my live TV and watching recordings was working fine.  Then one
day, after a reboot and no doubt fooling around with settings, my live TV
and recordings played back as though they were pinched in on the sides i.e.
there was a black bar on the right and left sides of the video.

So into the setup I went, and changing the recording profiles so that they
recorded on a 16:9 aspect.  This fixed the issue.  But, I don't have a 16:9
ratio TV, I have a normal 27" Sony Wega with a 4:3 ratio.  What did I do to
make it so that Myth only correctly outputs to a 4:3 TV when the aspect
ratio is 16:9?

Here my applicable display settings:

In XF86Config:
Monitor DisplaySize 320  240
VideoCard MetaModes 640 x 480
Screen Display 800 x 600, 640 x 480

I have no idea how they're all supposed to relate, what's the deal?

Thanks.

-Ryan