[mythtv-users] Cant load ivtv

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon Jan 19 17:47:37 EST 2004

At 02:29 PM 1/19/2004 -0800, John Barton wrote:

>I m trying to get ivtv to load, but it wont
>
>let me because modprobe cannot locate
>
>module ivtv.  I have added the appropriate
>
>lines to modules.conf and modprobed the
>
>necessary other modules anyway( as per the
>
>ivtv instructions), but it tells me the same
>
>thing either way.  Anyone know why
>
>this is?

Because you did something wrong, or left some step out. Since your
description of what you did is so vague, we're pretty luch left to guess
what that something is.

I'd *guess* that after you compiled the ivtv module with an appropriate
"make" command, you then did not do a "make install". Or perhaps your
kernel source tree does not match your working kernel (even a difference in
EXTRAVERSION affects this), so the compiled ivtv module was not put in the
right modules directory. Or maybe you forgot to run "depmod -a" before
trying the modprobe. Any of these mistakes *could* produce the error you
say you saw, if I read that part right.

Like I said, though , just guessing.

I just installed ivtv myself on a non-Myth system (for testing with one of
the PVR250 lookalikes recently sold on eBay) . I found the instructions at
the ivtv site and in the tarball quite hard to follow, easy to miss or
botch steps. OTOH, the example in the MythTV HowTo (way down near the end;
look for it) was clear as glass ... even the adaptations from Mandrake
(which it was written for) to Debian (which I use) were trivial to figure
out. You might try again, this time following Robert's instructions rather
than the actual ivtv ones, and see if it helps.