[mythtv-users] Is a packaged solution or easy howto for thisneed in existence?

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Sun Jan 18 23:33:38 EST 2004

Cecil Watson wrote:
> Jeremy D. Newton wrote:
> > Ok... I live and work in outside the US and want have access
> > to my favorite shows.
> >
> > So here is my thoughts.  I have read through the MythTV site
> > and want some feedback please.
> >
> > Is there a complete packaged solution to put on a box with a
> > pvr-350 card to record my desired shows.  Having set this box
> > at a location in the US connected to either DirecTV or cable
> > and of course the net. Then, I can access the box remotely to
> > schedule recordings and pull the recordings off the box to a
> > local machine for viewing.  I would likely schedule the
> > transfer of shows from the box to where I am.  Is this
> > possible?

Yes!

> > Would it take something more than MythTV?

Hmm, A method of serving the files that MythTV would record.
If you have a laod of bandwith, why not do VPN?

> > Also, does MythTV automatically remove commercials?

It's goal is that it should, automagical commercial removal could
be enabled, but aint always spot on. Also since you'll probably
follow the advise below, any mistakes will be lost forever.

Compressing/Ecrypting a mpeg2 stream with ssh? Hmm, sounds like a
lot of work for nothing.

I would have set the MythTV backend to automatically transcode the
mpeg2 file which the pvrX50 records into a DivX, unless you have
a buttload of bandwith.

Kenneth