[mythtv-users] MythVideo IMDB lookup fails (Myth0.13, Debianunstable)

Tim Harvey tharvey at alumni.calpoly.edu
Sun Jan 18 19:23:38 EST 2004

yes of course... otherwise things wouldn't improve.  Constructive
feedback is always welcome :)

> A couple search examples
>
> 1. Scratch (0143861) my file is called "Scratch - The Movie.avi" and
it
> comes up with no results
> 2. Jackass (0322802) my file is called "Jackass The Movie CD1.avi" and
> it comes up with no results
> 3. any movie with something like dvdrip.xvid at the end comes up with
> nothing..
>
> Is it possible that if it came up with no results it could try more
> generic queries.. the first word or two for example.

What's happening here is that doing a search with those titles shows
only 'approximate matches' from imdb.com.  Goto www.imdb.com and enter
in those titles exactly and you'll see what I mean.  They changed the
search results a bit and I only choose to grab 'exact matches' and
'partial matches'.  I will look at making it smarter or perhaps also
grabbing the 'approximat matches', but I'll wait until I've moved the
search into a perl script.  I'm hoping to submit this patch for review
tonight or tomorrow.

Incidentally, in the examples you gave it's the 'The Movie' in the first
example and the 'CD1' in the 2nd that really blows your search for you.
Those words really are not part of the title of those movies.  If you
place this 'non title' information within '()'s those words will be
stripped from the search and your problem should be solved:

Scratch (The Movie).avi
Jackass The Movie (CD1).avi
('the movie' really is part of that one's title, just not 'CD1')

I make a point to put any comments etc that are not part of the title in
()'s in all my movie filenames.  It also tends to make them more
readable when your just staring at a directory listing.

I have quite a collection of movies (I won't even say how many) so I
will tweak the searching in my next patch by ranking/rating the search
results so that matches are more intelligent or at least more probable
matches are at the top of the list.  Currently by the way, if there is
only 1 match returned by IMDB, you don't even get a selection list... it
just takes that as the match.

Tim

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2/Dev_F10/%5BPATCH%5D_IM
> DB_search_fix_for_MythVideo_P101869/
>
> Tim

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=85557;searc

h_string=More%20accurate%2Franked%20IMDB%20searches;guest=2044688&t=sear