[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV-Out user experience

Tim Harvey tharvey at alumni.calpoly.edu
Sun Jan 18 18:46:26 EST 2004

MythTV
> > (Live TV or pre-recorded non-transcoded nuv files from MythTV).  I
> > believe this is simply because its not having to do any scaling of
the
> > video.
> >
> This is the main reson I use mine.
>
> > - Dual headed display
> > Using the PVR-350's output via ivtv-fb and XFree86, you get a 2nd
> > X-Windows screen (output to your TV) for MythTV to run on while your
> > video card still provides another X-Windows screen that you can
develop
> > with or what not
> You'd get this with most video cards with tv-out
>

> > - No need for another TV-Out solution
> > Most video cards today seem to have a TV-Out anyway.  Personally I
> > haven't gotten mine to work quite right yet (NVidia GeForce 440MX...
> > should work fine, I just have to hammer some more on it)
> >
> It'll work...but you won't be happy with the quality.  Not after
you've
> seen the tv-out of the 350.

Finally got it to work... had a 'Option "ConnectedMonitor" "crt,TV" to
XF86Config

> > Anything else???
> Yep, CPU usage is next to zip.  You can be compiling a new kernel
while
> recording a show and playing a recording and there's no problem... CPU
> might not be a problem with you but my plan is to eventually have four
> (I have two right now) 250/350 cards in my machine while still use it
as
> the main server for my entire house for both video, music, and
pictures.

> Another thing is the FM tuner the 350 has...  I've been following a
> couple of threads at the ivtv list and it's on its way...
>

> > Con's:
> >
> > - The performace of MythVideo playing back DivX and VOB's is pretty
bad
> > on my Athlon 2600+ system via the ivtv-fb.  IMHO that makes the
PVR-350
> > a poor choice for me as I greatly value the MythVideo plugin for my
> > movie collection.  I've seen others post that they believed the
playback
> > framerate via ivtv-fb should be acceptable, but I haven't been able
> > see it.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?  I've experimented with
> > cmdline args for mplayer and haven't been able to boost the
performance
> > enough to be acceptable for the larger bitrate files (the Divx files
> > have at 760kbps video or lower are just about acceptable, but the
VOB's
> > are definitely horrible)
> The ivtv driver does not really support the above yet.  It will soon
> though.  IMHO it would be hard to use ivtv-fb (ie the frame buffer) to
> provide quality display of video IIRC it is only about 1 frame per
> second or so.  The way it is going to work is with the yuv support
> (don't ask me what that means I just know the buzz words :-).  In the
> ivtv list they are saying that it will come out with the 0.2.0 driver
> (by the end of the month ???)  of course, there'll be bugs but that's
> just fun.

Well, I'm getting much more than 1fps, but its still not watchable.

YUV is the colorspace that MPEG uses (luminance / chromanamce) instead
of RGB which is what the monitors use.  Today's videocards support the
YUV->RGB conversion in hardware (colorspace conversion) and what your
saying is that the PVR-350's OSD does this too, they just haven't had a
chance to get it in the driver yet.  Once this is done that colorspace
conversion will be offloaded to the PVR350 and that will most likely
provide the framerates I'm looking for.  I wonder if the PVR350's OSD
provides hardware scaling as well?

That's great to hear that there are features to come that should solve
this!

> As Far as mplayer is concerned. you need to build it with a patch for
it
> to work(search the ivtv archives for mpegpes and you'll find out how).
> Video is absolutely great (in between frame skips anyway :-) but there
> are some issues with the sound sync.
>
> Anyway, it's supossed to be just a temporary hack.  The real stuff is
on
> the way.

Ah... I didn't realize this.  I'll look that up.  Thanks for the info!

> > - The TV-Out is overscanned (which is appropriate) causing you to
have
> > to tweak your gui size and offsets, and your OSD overscan within
MythTV.
> > This itself is not a problem however to get my GUI fitting
appropriately
> > I've had to use a GUI size of 648/432 (offset of 35x30) which isn't
> > large enough to show many of the setup screens entirely (a bunch of
them
> > have no buttons visible as they can't fit vertically).
> >
> TV-out has to be overscanned.  It is the way tv is designed.  Yes
> there's some tweaking to be done but much less than you'll have to do
> with any other tv-out method.  Plus, I rather my OSD be a little bit
off
> frame than the tv be off.

Right, I'm just saying that a lot of the MythTV setup dialogs don't seem
to fit in the roughly 648x432 (what mine needed to be set at) gui size
that you need to limit MythTV to.  This isn't a major thing and I'll
probably try and put together a patch to clean up some of those settings
dialogs myself.

Tim