[mythtv-users] MythTV audio output

Kevin Kuphal kevin.kuphal at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 18 15:55:49 EST 2004

I'm having some trouble with audio output from MythTV.

I have a Redhat 9 system installed with MythTV from RPMs.
I'm using the latest RPMs of ALSA.
I have a Yamaha based sound card that is connected to my stereo using the
SPDIF connection.
I have my WinTV PCI card (bt878) connected from line out to line in of the
Yamaha card.
I can play from mplayer, aplay, cat > /dev/dsp, or any other method and it
all plays through the SPDIF connection as I have my .asoundrc set to route
default pcm to it.
MythMusic plays fine
MythVideo plays fine

Except for MythTV.  I can hear the TV out from a set of computer speakers
connected to the card but no sound is output to the SPDIF connection.

Any suggestions?  Do I need to compile MythTV with native alsa support (I've
been avoiding compiling from source)?

Thanks,
Kevin