[mythtv-users] System Spec Survey

Rolando J. Nieves rjnieves at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 17 11:08:05 EST 2004

Thanks to everybody that replied. I would like to use the Pinnacle and take
advantage of the hardware encoding of the card but since it generates too
much data (between 60-120K per frame) and my hard drives seem to be
throttling the system (profiling revealed communication between backend and
frontend seems to top out at 2.5MB/s*), I'll have to use another capture
card. Hopefully the PVR-250 I ordered recently helps in the data flow area
(6000Kbit/s for DVD-quality video should be less than 1MB/s between backend
and frontend).

Again, thanks for all the replies.

Rolando.

* With the frontend "RemoteFile" class receiving 64k blocks of data from the
back end in about 25ms. Most of the delay was caused by the backend reading
the data off disk. Maybe I should hack Myth a bit and amortize the read time
per 64k block using bigger block reads? hmmm...