[mythtv-users] RE:Frontend box PII-450 too slow to view MPEG-2?

Audio Phile da_audiophile at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 17:40:01 EST 2004

Thanks for the info.  Is there a big difference in
mpeg-4 and mpeg-2 I wonder?  The light on the back of
the NIC is indicating that 100 mode is enabled.

To answer some of your other questions: how can I tell

if a chipset specific driver is loading?  Also, is the
video on the screen a function of the video card's
speed, or of the processor's ability to decode MPEG-2?
 Also, does my frontend buffer the MPEG-2 stream to
disc or does it just play it through the network?

Thanks all!

---

As just mentioned in another thread, I have a PII-450
that plays 576x432
mpeg-4 video (around 2000 kpbs) at around 20% CPU and
plays DVDs just fine.

Is your 3COM NIC working at 100 Mbps? I have an old
3COM card in this
machine and it originally came up at 10 (not to
mention that some of the old
3COM cards seem to have problems).

Video drivers could also be an issue. I was very
surprised that the old
Voodoo Banshee card in this machine worked so well.
You might check whether
a chipset-specific driver is loading for the S3 card.