[mythtv-users] looking for thoughts on this hardware spec

Burke Gillespie kurbe at myrealbox.com
Fri Jan 16 17:07:57 EST 2004

Hi all

Please forgive me if this has been answered before or if this is not the correct forum for this type of question. I have looked through the archives for an answer and I have read all the documentation I can find, but I'm still not clear about one thing.

I want to set up a myth frontend/backend all in one box on the least amount of harware I can get away with. I'm looking at an Acer Pundit ( http://usa.asus.com/products/desktop/pundit/overview.HTM ) with maybe a Celeron 1.8 (400 FSB) with a large 7200 rpm drive.

I want this to be a standalone box. I don't want to run a seperate backend.

My quetion is this:
If I want to view live TV on the monitor, not a tv, do I need the decoding power of the PVR-350 on this low end machine? Is the hardware decoding only to send out to the TV and could I get away with a PVR-250 if I will only be using a computer monitor?

Is this enough machine to run both the backend and frontend on and watch live TV while recording in the background? I may add a second card. The second card would probably be a hardware encoding card as well such as a pvr-x50.

I'm only asking and not just trying this because I don't have any PC hardware to even test an install on.

TIA.nd/backend all in one box on the least amount of harware I can get away with. I'm looking at an Acer Pundit ( http://usa.asus.com/products/desktop/pundit/overview.HTM ) with maybe a Celeron 1.8 (400 FSB) with a large 7200 rpm drive.