[mythtv-users] Thinking about switching to MythTV

Mattias Larsson ml at techno.org
Fri Jan 16 16:34:17 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm currently using another PVR software (running on Windows XP), but
I'm sick and tired of the lockups I get with my system. I currently have
two EPIA machines, one M9000 and one M10000 machine. The M9000 machine
is the backend, and it has 2 x PVR-250 PCI cards (with Dish Network
satellite recivers connected), and 1 x PVR-USB2 box (Cable connection),
and a bunch of disk (3x250, 1x60). The client machine, M10000, is
connected to my projector using the PVR-350 for output and it is also
used to record Cable, for a total of 4 receivers. It looks like the
MythTV's PVR support is quite mature now, but there are a couple of
issues I'm still facing:

- Where do you get decent XMLTV data? Last time I used XMLTV, it
provided very bad data, with unreliable show IDs and rerun information.
I realize that this question might be more appropriate on the XMLTV list.

- I'm concerned that maybe the lockups I get on my Via EPIA systems are
related to hardware and not software, thus a switch to Linux wouldn't
help anything. Has anyone else successfully run MythTV on EPIA hardware
without experiencing lock ups?

- PVR-USB2 doesn't seem to be supported, and I suspect that it will be a
long time before it is. I dont really need 4 tuners anymore, but, I'm
wondering, would it be possible to implement and encoding backend for
Windows? I have no idea what the network protocols look like, but I'm
imaging some kind of lightweight app that I'd run on Windows and just
pipe the MPEG-2 stream back to the MythTV backend. I dont know wether or
not the encoders are separated out from the backend, or if I'd be forced
to run a complete backend on the windows machine for this to work. I
relize that there is no Windows version of MythTV, but I'd be willing to
be in the effort of coding this if there is a reasonably easy way of
accomplishing this.

- Can the ActiSys IR-200L ir blaster be used to control the satellite
receivers?

- Is the IRMan supported for IR control of the mythtv frontend?

The advantages of going with MythTV are very tempting though.
framebuffer on PVR-350 and the ability to rip the noisy harddrive out of
my client and boot over the network would be really welcome.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
/dml