[mythtv-users] Will I regret ditching my GF4MX?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Jan 16 15:18:13 EST 2004

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Thursday 15 January 2004 23:20, David jeske wrote:
>
>>-- Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>>
>>>So, my main question is this: if I go with the Pundit or some
>>>uATX board with on-board (non-Nvidia) TV-out, will I miss
>>>my GF4MX?
>>
>>I'm still trying to figure out exactly what ideal machine to
>>assemble, and from my research in the archives it seems like the SiS
>>315 is one of the few tvout choices which has control of overscan
>>which generally works.  NOTE: I don't _have_ one of these, I'm just
>>reporting what I found.
>>
>>I'm currently running with a GF4MX, but I can't get overscan. I hear
>>it used to work in earlier drivers, but even then that the max 1.0
>>setting often wasn't enough.
>>
>>Anyhow, my current chart looks like:
>>
>>SiS 315: no company support, open source drivers, overscan support
>>NVidia (GF4MX,others): robust vendor supplied drivers, medicore
>>overscan support if any
>>PVR-350 : bleeding edge, high cpu usage when outputting anything but
>>mpeg2, proper overscan
>>ATI Rage/Radeon: atitvout is not in development and only works on a
>>handfull of chips
>>S3 savage: reports of video windows not appearing on tvout
>>This may be wrong, so YMMV.
>>
>>- David
>

> Thanks for the summary.  Incidentally, you need *exactly* the -4363
> version of the Nvidia drivers to get overscan on the GF4MX.  AFAIK,
> it's only tweakable in XF86Config (i.e., no program like nvtv to play
> around with -- at least, not in the 4363 drivers).  I've been generally
> quite satisfied with my overscan capabilities.

More FYI for ATI, "atitvout" does not cause TV-out to work.
It is a small utility for resetting parameters after TV-out
works. TV-out requires the 'devel" branch of ati.2 CVS from
GATOS. So, in a sense TV-out is 'only in "devel"opment' ;-)
even though it is true that there is no on-going development.
AFAIK, the TV-out for the "devel" code works for almost all
cards, however, some people report they have this card and
do the wrong thing and other report they have that card and
do the right thing.

There is only a small amount of info to keep track of for ATI
cards but it is often mis-understood and mis-represented :-(.

--  bjm