[mythtv-users] Will I regret ditching my GF4MX?

David jeske jeske at chat.net
Thu Jan 15 23:20:01 EST 2004

-- Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> So, my main question is this: if I go with the Pundit or some
> uATX board with on-board (non-Nvidia) TV-out, will I miss
> my GF4MX?

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what ideal machine to
assemble, and from my research in the archives it seems like the SiS
315 is one of the few tvout choices which has control of overscan
which generally works.  NOTE: I don't _have_ one of these, I'm just
reporting what I found.

I'm currently running with a GF4MX, but I can't get overscan. I hear
it used to work in earlier drivers, but even then that the max 1.0
setting often wasn't enough.

Anyhow, my current chart looks like:

SiS 315: no company support, open source drivers, overscan support
NVidia (GF4MX,others): robust vendor supplied drivers, medicore
overscan support if any
PVR-350 : bleeding edge, high cpu usage when outputting anything but
mpeg2, proper overscan
ATI Rage/Radeon: atitvout is not in development and only works on a
handfull of chips
S3 savage: reports of video windows not appearing on tvout
This may be wrong, so YMMV.

- David