[mythtv-users] "prebuffering pause" and XvMC

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 15 16:30:24 EST 2004

Just an FYI for some of you:

2-3 days ago I tried recompiling Myth with XvMC support.  Oddly, it actually
made things SLOWER for me.  I got frequent "prebuffering pause" messages, and
the video would be choppy, especially if the OSD were up.  So I recompiled again
without XvMC.  I noticed in various archives that a lot of people had
encountered similar "prebuffering pause" problems when using XvMC and had
ditched it.

I noticed today that at some point in the past few months, my default colordepth
had been reset from 24bpp to 16bpp.  (Most of the X config programs seem to
prefer 16...)

Well, I changed my default depth back to good 'ole 24bpp, and tried recompiling
MythTV again with XvMC support back in.

Guess what?  It works BEAUTIFULLY now.

Might be a good FAQ entry - Make sure you're in 24bpp mode, otherwise XvMC won't
work.  (At least on a GeForce 4 Ti-series).