[mythtv-users] Requiring a password for mythweb?

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 15 14:15:30 EST 2004

Quoting stan <stanb at panix.com>:

> > > Cool, I am glad Mythweb's author likes the KISS principle :-)
> >
> > Whatever.  But one of the advantages to open-sourced software to me is the
>
> > fact the developers are at least usually open to suggestions rather than
> > declaring "this is how it is".  I would hope that if someone offered the
> > code, it would be considered at least (for this or any other feature)...
> > especially if there was more interest from the user community.
> >
> nother thing about Open Source projects (at least most that succeed) is
> that only features that several people can make a strong case for, get
> implmented.
>
> Care to stae your case?
I think he's already made a decent case for built-in authentication setups.

Specifically, a need for granularity of control.  e.g. there are cases where you
want to give someone basic access to mythweb but not access to certain things
(such as channel settings).  He described it better...

In addition I was hoping to take mythweb and use it as the basis for a project
I've been planning, specifically stripping out all the eyecandy and JavaScript
to allow scheduling of TV recordings from mobile devices (Phones, PDAs, etc.).
But it looks like I'm going to have to start from scratch instead, as the
majority of mobile devices don't support HTTP authentication.  (I know Palm PQAs
definately don't, and my first target device is my Kyocera 6035.)