[mythtv-users] Requiring a password for mythweb?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Jan 15 14:01:26 EST 2004

> Whatever.  But one of the advantages to open-sourced software to me is the
> fact the developers are at least usually open to suggestions rather than
> declaring "this is how it is".  I would hope that if someone offered the
> code, it would be considered at least (for this or any other feature)...
> especially if there was more interest from the user community.

And it *would* be considered.  However, I've *written* several user
permissions systems (both in php and perl-cgi), and they're a nightmare
- you have to code in all kinds of things everywhere for "if
has-write-perms, elseif has-read-perms, else..."

Mythweb is also not designed to be a powerful multi-user system.  It's
designed to complement the easy-to-use interface of mythtv itself, but
allow a little more freedom to browse through more data on the screen
(and be faster, since I find it rather slow to navigate through mythtv,
even with a keyboard instead of a remote).

Adding a user/permissions setup creates unnecessary complexity that 99%
of users wouldn't need or even know what to do with (I'm thinking
long-term here - not talking about the average one of us geeks who can
build kernels from scratch, etc.).

On the other hand, if someone could find a way to do it non-intrusively,
such that the default theme continued to work as it does, but another
theme would have more restrictive user settings, that would probably be
acceptable.  However, I just don't see it as a valid use of someone's
time - there are far more important things needed/wanted for mythweb
(like improving the settings section, mythmusic, mythvideo, mythweather
integration, etc.)

--
Chris Petersen
Programmer / Web Designer