[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend crashes if I let it run all night...

Malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 15 11:17:17 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Rees" <drees at greenhydrant.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Mythfrontend crashes if I let it run all
night...

> On Wed, January 14, 2004 1at 1:37 am, Malcolm wrote:
> >
> > I did notices this in my /var/log/messages
> >
> > Jan 14 01:15:18 localhost kernel: ivtv: Got DMA-done, but not expecting
> > one
> > Not sure what that means or if that would be an issue?  It shows up in
> > /var/log/messages every so often.
>
> I get those too on occasion, but does recording does not stop.  Then
> again, I haven't let it record all night, either, but haven't had any
> issues recently with 2-3hour recordings, either.
>
> Best bet at this point is to check the ivtv-devel archives, there's been a
> lot of discussion lately regarding recording hangs and a number of people
> are investigating the issue so you are not alone.  Give the pci-latency
> patch a shot, that may improve things as well if your motherboard/bios has
> set the latency of the card too low (check lspci -vv)
>
> -Dave

I'm not sure if I have mythtv problems or ivtv or both?  Here's what I did.
Upgraded to ivtv 0.1.9 and tried to leave myth running over night again just
showing live TV.

In the morning it was still running as it usually does and I was able to hit
"I" and see what channel it's on.  I then tried to change channels and it
froze up.

Mythfrontend (after been killed) showed this:

QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
2004-01-15 08:40:16 Error writing stringlist
Remote encoder not responding.
ASSERT: "i <= nodes" in /usr/lib/qt3/include/qvaluelist.h (372)
QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
2004-01-15 08:40:16 Error writing stringlist
Remote encoder not responding.
ASSERT: "i <= nodes" in /usr/lib/qt3/include/qvaluelist.h (372)
QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
2004-01-15 08:40:17 Error writing stringlist
Remote encoder not responding.
ASSERT: "i <= nodes" in /usr/lib/qt3/include/qvaluelist.h (372)
QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
2004-01-15 08:40:17 Error writing stringlist
Remote encoder not responding.
ASSERT: "i <= nodes" in /usr/lib/qt3/include/qvaluelist.h (372)

And Mythbackend (which I started from a console window) echoed this:

ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read( )'
: Invalid argument
ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read( )'
: Invalid argument
ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read( )'
: Invalid argument
In file tools/ggarray.cpp, line 147: Out of memory

Oh and I also notice a few of these showing up in /var/log/messages

localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-116

Even when the system is just up and running and nothing is crashing?  Not
sure what that means.

So what do you guys think?  Time to his the ivtv list or do I have other
myth issues?

Thanks
Malcolm