[mythtv-users] Xbox overscan work around

Dennis Cartier pvr at trigger.net
Tue Jan 13 13:24:21 EST 2004

Hello,

I pleased to say that Derek Watson has found a usable workaround for the
over scan issue with the xbox. As Derek mentioned a few days ago, you
can use xbv to alter the over scan, but you have to disable double
buffering to get decent frame rates after doing this.

To use this method, edit the /root/.xinitrc file contained in myth.tgz
be as follows:

=====.xinitrc=====

xset -dpms s off &
#irxevent &
/usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc &
/usr/local/bin/mythfrontend &
xbv -auto 640 480 6.0 6.0
xvattr -a XV_DOUBLE_BUFFER -v 0
blackbox

You can alter the last 2 parameters of the xbv command (6.0 and 6.0) to
adjust the horizontal and vertical over scan to suit your particular needs.

Please note, you may getting some minor tearing in the video stream when
running in single buffered mode, but it is trivial compared to those big
black borders.

I still plan on releasing another version based on Xebian 1.0 to
accommodate version 1.5+ xboxes as well as HDTV. I am also planning on
experimenting with QT-embedded to eliminate X11 all together.

Dennis