[mythtv-users] DMA problems again

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Tue Jan 13 12:31:50 EST 2004

Am Di, den 13.01.2004 schrieb Tony Maro um 17:09:
> Torsten Schenkel wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the pointer, that way I don't have to keep seperate kernels
> > for the NForce machines at the institute -- it's a bit annoying if you
> > forget about it and the colleagues complain about the average uptime of
> > about 5 minutes :-)
> >

> What's the problem with nForce anyway?  I have an nForce2 Leadtek board
> with no problems...

The problem with NForce2 boards is: While the chipset is capable of
impressive bandwidth, your stuck with 16 irqs because it won't cope with
local APIC.

There are some sets out there that do, like the first NForce2 I got as a
testbed to decide if we would go for this chipset for the new
workstations. Well, this one worked, the others didn't :-(
This was at the beginning of the NForce2 era, when the solution wasn't
floating on the internet as readily as it does today.

Torsten
--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough