[mythtv-users] DMA problems again

DBakker at arrayasolutions.com DBakker at arrayasolutions.com
Mon Jan 12 09:41:59 EST 2004

FYI,

I have had major timing problems with kernel space programs when acpi is
enabled. LIRC's modules were flaking out everytime a command was sent.

Tony Maro <tony at maro.net>
Sent by: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
01/12/2004 08:16 AM
Please respond to
Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [mythtv-users] DMA problems again

Torsten Schenkel wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 22:11, Tony Maro wrote:
>

>>The disable apic support suggestion is likely the correct answer.  You
>>have two options, either recompile your kernel removing the "local APIC
>>support" or disable it at boot with your boot manager.
>

> You can disable APIC at boot time, to disable local APIC, which is most
> likely to be causing problems, you have to recompile the kernel. Kernel
> 2.6. has a boot time option, 2.4. hasn't.
>

>>I googled this and found many different options suggested for boot time
>>to disable APIC, so I just put them all into my line and these problems
>>went away.
>>
>>in lilo.conf look for the kernel you are booting and make sure the
>>following entries are in your "append" line:
>>
>>noapic nolapic pci=noacpi acpi=off
>

> nolapic is a 2.6 kernel option, 2.4. will neglect it.

I wasn't aware of that - again, it's just what I googled... ;-)

So the "noapic" and/or noacpi entries fixed it for me.

-Tony