[mythtv-users] time to start over, looking for ideas

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Sun Jan 11 08:37:54 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 16:58, Jason Richardson wrote:

> ok, i have been bashing my head on this for well over a week now, and
> have gotten nowhere.
> For historical reasons, heres my setup and whats wrong:
> Athlon (Slot A) CPU at 850 MHz
> Cheapo Jetway (i think) motherboard with via chipset of some sort (82cxx?)
> 384 MB sdram
> Cheap agp sis video card
> 2 NICs (ne2k-pci, 8139too)
> WinTV PVR-350
> bt8x8 of some sort
> SBLive sound card
>
> the sis video card was purchased to have a better supported tv-out than
> the voodoo3 3500 that was in the machine previously, though i now intend
> to run everything off the pvr-350.
> ater screwing with the onboard audio and having various issues with it, i
> stuck a spare sblive in the machine. no sound issues now, but to
> simplify the hardware i may try to utilize the onboard sound again in
> the future.
> I also doubt i will ever use the bt8x8 card again now that i have the
> pvr-350 and i have no need to record more than one source at a time, so
> it can go away if it is determined to be causing problems at any point.
> For software, the machine has a fresh install of Gentoo 1.4 using the
> gentoo-sources 2.4.22 kernel. I am using cvs mythtv and cvs ivtv, as I
> was under the impression that cvs source was required to use the pvr-350.
>
> The setup has not worked from the start, giving anything from garbled
> video to completely failure to work to hard lockups. I have managed to
> get stable framebuffer output, and can save from the encoder for a few
> minutes at a time (it just stops saving data at some random time 2-4
> minutes into the recording). at no time have i ever gotten anything to
> display when trying to use the hardware decoder.
> Now then, I am not necessarily asking for fixes, I am mostly curious if
> using cvs was a bad idea, and if so exactly what versions of myth and
> ivtv i should be using.
> As stated above, it is my intention to use the pvr-350 as an all-in-one
> vivo solution similar to a tivo.
> any suggestions would be appreciated :)

The problem with using cvs is that somedays it's good somedays it's
not.  First thing you need to look at is the recording.  You should not
be having any problems using the latest myth release (is it .13?) with
an ivtv from late december.  I have one here :

http://63.151.115.231/031226.tar.gz

After you've got the recording working (using your monitor for display)
you can worry about the tv-out part (that's the tricky one)

another thing you can try is knoppmyth (sp?)  I hear is as close to plug
and play as you can get...

-jose-